Mark your calendars for the Jumpstart Workshop Saturday, September 23, 1-5pm. The workshop is for concert band and choir. Riverside Jazz members are invited to join either ensemble.
The Cochrane Music Society AGM will be held during the break in the workshop and the event will be followed by a BBQ for participants and partners/friends.
Register for the event at rehearsal.
CMS members are asked to bring the following:
Band on the Bow: salad
Choral Waves: dessert
Summer is almost over and the CMS 2017-2018 season is starting very soon!
There will be no Registration Night this year. Just show up at the first rehearsal (or as soon as you can)!
First Choral Waves Rehearsal
Tuesday, September 5 at 7:00pm
First Band on the Bow and Riverside Jazz Rehearsals
Wednesday, September 6
7:00pm Band on the Bow
8:50pm Riverside Jazz
Registration Form and Fees
• Please print the registration form and bring it with you with payment(s) to the first rehearsal
• The fees have remained the same as last year.
• If you wish to pay your fees in two cheques (September and January), both cheques must be submitted with the registration form. If you are unable to continue in January, the second cheque will be returned to you or destroyed.
• Please be sure to complete all parts of the form, date and sign it.
See you there!
Calling all community concert band and jazz band members!If you forgot about the MMI Workshop August 17-19 in Cochrane, register now!
People who attended last year said it was totally different from any workshop they had previously attended. It was all about improving musicianship rather than worrying about preparing repertoire for a concert.
Are you looking for a fun weekend with your musical friends during the summer? Music Mentors International is holding a concert band/jazz band workshop in COCHRANE August 17-19, 2017 (Thursday evening to Saturday evening).
This event runs parallel with a workshop for music teachers/band directors August 13-19.
Music Mentors International provides the very best teachers and conductors who understand and appreciate why you choose to be in a community band. They know that you choose to participate for the sheer joy of playing. You value being part of a group of people who are not professional musicians, but love making music and sharing that love of music with others through your performances.
(Accommodations not included.)
For all the information and to register go to the MMI website
Westwinds Music Society is planning to run a summer program, consisting of one concert band, one jazz band, and one mixed-voice choir, none of which are restricted to Westwinds members. They are taking registrations up until July 7, and the program goes from July 26 until the end of August.
For details (venue, dates/times, directors, fees, music level, etc) and to register see Westwinds Summer Program.
Please note that a few registrants have reported having problems with the PayPal payment on the web page. If that happens please contact the office at 403-255-3485
Join the RMSO for a family-friendly, accessible concert of orchestral music, right in Cochrane!
Schubert “Great” Symphony
Saint Saens: Morceau de Concert (with Rosalee Morrison)
C.M. Weber: Bassoon Concerto (with Jonathan Gresl)
Friday, June 2nd, 7:30pm at the Ranchehouse.
Adults $25 Seniors $20 Students $15 <6 yrs $5
The Rocky Mountain Symphony hopes to satisfy a desire among Albertans for accessible programming of excellent live orchestral music, regardless of where they live. They believe that the vast repertoire of Western Art Music should be accessible to all, not only to those lucky enough to enjoy the thriving artistic and cultural scenes of urban centres.
The symphony aims to challenge and change the misconception that Classical Music is elitist. Orchestral music is for everyone.
The RMSO performs under the direction of Carlos Foggin whose high-energy, passionate performances have received enthusiastic reviews from many publications including the Calgary Herald and Opera Canada magazine.
- Tickets purchased prior to May 28 will be entered in a draw to sit IN the orchestra, a unique opportunity to sit in a professional ensemble for a bit.
- There is no dress code! Anything that makes you feel comfortable is fine. Most people will be wearing business clothes or slightly dressy casual clothes, but you’ll see everything from jeans ‘n T-shirts to cocktail dresses.
- Plan to arrive 20 minutes before concert time, so you can find your seat, turn off your cell phone, take a look at your surroundings, absorb the atmosphere, and have time to glance through the program book. Most concerts start on time. If you’re late, you may end up listening from the lobby! If that happens, you’ll need to wait for a suitable pause in the program, so your arrival won’t disturb other patrons.
- For answers to many other questions see the First Time Visit page of the website.
Reserve your seats now at www.rockymountainsymphony.ca
The Cochrane Music Society Spring Concert, Celebration of Music, is set for Tuesday, May 16 at 7:30pm in the Bow Valley High School gymnasium.
The CMS members are excited to celebrate Canada 150 in a program packed with music by Canadian composers. From the show opening 2016 arrangement of O Canada by Allan Gilliland (Edmonton) to “Stompin” Tom Connors’ The Hockey Song (arranged by Larry Nickel – associate composer of the Canadian Music Centre) and Wildrose Jamboree by Robert Buckley (Vancouver), the ensembles will showcase just a portion of the incredible array of Canadian music available to choirs and bands.
The Band on the Bow concert band is especially anticipating their premier performance of City on Stilts by their very own member, composer Corey de Baat!
Bring your family and friends, and a donation to the Cochrane Food Bank, and join us at BVHS for a fun and entertaining program as Band on the Bow, Riverside Jazz and Choral Waves alternate performance selections. Mingle with the musicians during intermission where refreshments will be provided.
Let’s celebrate Canada 150 and music together!